Stress unfortunately can be part of my day-to-day life. I can stress over a number of different things before 8:00am rolls around (daughter woke up with a boogie nose – is she sick?, son climbed in bed with me last night – is he getting enough sleep?, did I remember to feed the dog?, traffic is a nightmare – probably will be late for work, etc. etc. etc.). I look to resources on how to de-stress and realistically I just can’t partake in a number of these items because I am a working mom. As much as I would love a bubble bath, or time to color in a coloring book or peace and quiet for that matter, I just don’t get that, and that is ok because I have found 5 other things that I can do that can happen all while in my car, with my kids in the back, or at my desk at work.
Quick Fix for Stress…
- Taking a deep breath – Just 1 time per hour take a deep breath. 6 seconds breathing in thru your nose and 6 seconds out thru your mouth. If you are really ambitious, take 3 deep breaths per hour.
- Saying to yourself, “It is ok.” – Sometimes all I need to do is remind myself that, it is ok. It is ok that I had to pick up dinner tonight instead of make it. It is ok that I bought Valentines instead of hand making them for my son’s school. It is ok that I wear leggings as pants (my shirt is always covering up everything). It is ok that I am still not sure if leggings are suppose to be considered as pants. Letting yourself off the hook is sometimes exactly what you need to let go of the stress that comes with trying to do it all. PS. You are doing it all.
- Using a drive thru – I am very lucky that we have a drive-thru liquor store in my town, yes you read that right…a drive-thru liquor store. Now not everyone is that lucky, but how great is it when you don’t have to get out of your car (and your kids out of your car), and you get your lunch, coffee, dinner or bottle of wine handed to you. In my opinion you should take advantage of drive-thru’s on the regular.
- Music, Music, Music – Turn up the music. Music lifts the spirit and allows you to detach from your other stressful thoughts for awhile. Music is known to relax you, energize you, make you sing even when you know you can’t carry a tune.
- Shake, Wiggle, and Move – Move your body. Shake your legs, wiggle your hips, do jazz hands, I don’t care, just move. Your body is not meant to be sedentary. Getting the blood flowing increases your endorphin’s and makes you feel better. Perfect for when you are feeling stressed.
Relieving stress doesn’t always have to take a ton of time. It just needs a few quality focused minutes and you will feel like a new person. And if you are like me, you will totally embarrass your children with your rendition of Taylor Swift’s “Shake it off” as you pull away from school on your way to grab your bottle of wine, and that alone is worth the small amount of effort.
Dana Neal – Spa Manager, Group Fitness Instructor and not as stressed Mama